Thursday, October 23, 2008

Baked Ziti

In my former life as a restaurant worker/manager, one of the restaurants I worked for was Sbarro's.  I was an assistant manager there for about 2 years.  Part of my job was to make the entrees for the day.  One thing I made daily was ziti.  Here is my recipe, a favorite of the family's, especially J.

1 lb. box ziti
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 15 oz container of ricotta cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese
Parmasean cheese
ground beef or sausage,  if desired

Cook ziti according to package directions.  While that is cooking, in a casserole dish combine ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and about a half cup parmasean cheese.  If you decide to add meat to the dish, I brown the meat and add the spaghetti sauce to it when it is browned and heat the sauce.  I find that this speeds up the baking process.  Add the spaghetti sauce to the cheese mixture.
When the ziti is cooked, drain and add to sauce/cheese mixture.  I usually do this in increments, makes it a bit easier.  (I will also add extra spaghetti sauce if I think it needs it.)
If desired, add more mozzarella and parmasean cheese on top before baking.  Bake 15-20 minutes in a 375 degree oven.
                                                                               Before:
  
After:

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

That looks delicious! John is always bugging me to make Ziti and now I have a recipe! Thanks!

Chocolate Shavings said...

What a great looking pot of baked ziti! I've actually only had this out and should really try making it at home!

MaryBeth said...

Looks really good.

MaryBeth said...

Hello Cheryl, are you out there? I was so glad to see that you were joining in the food blog fun, but we have not seen anything new from you. I hope to see something new soon.